With the events of the past year being tough for everyone, and especially for the hard of hearing, we wanted to do something special.
So, as the holiday season is approaching, the team wants to help as many people as possible have special moments with their loved ones.
That’s why throughout November, we’re running “Hear for the Holidays,” where one deserving person will receive a complimentary pair of hearing aids!
This will ensure that one deserving person in our community will receive the help they deserve in time for the holidays and beyond.
How Can You Enter?
“Hear for the Holidays” works through a nomination process, where you put someone’s name forward who you feel could benefit from new technology.
So if your friend, loved one, or co-worker has ever mentioned a hearing challenge, now is a great time to give them a chance of winning!
You do this by filling out a short form on our website – giving a few details about your nominee and why they deserve to win.
We’ll close “Hear for the Holidays” at the end of November, and soon after, we’ll let the deserving person know that they’ve won this life-changing opportunity.
They’ll then be invited to a comprehensive hearing assessment, where they will be fit with their new devices, so they’re ready for the holidays. Good luck!
Updates from The Office
We hope you have a fantastic Thanksgiving planned, and that you get the chance to eat and drink with loved ones wherever you are!
But just to remind you, we’ll be closed on both November 26 and 27. So if you need to book an appointment close to those dates, please let us know in advance.
As the end of the year approaches, this is also the perfect time to check your insurance benefits for 2021.
There may be updates to your coverage that you can take advantage of, so make sure you don’t miss out on them!
It’s always fantastic when one of our team reaches a milestone.
So we’re happy to report that Jackie Stagg, our hearing instrument specialist, and practice manager, is celebrating her nine-year work anniversary with Duncan Hearing Healthcare in November.
We really value her time with us.
And in other great news, she’s just become the owner of a new puppy called Telly.
The team can’t wait to meet him in the future!
Six Great Tips to Help Hearing Aid Users When Wearing Face Masks
Face masks are helping to stop the spread of the virus. But as I’m sure you’re aware, they also create issues for hearing aid wearers – especially in regard to communication.
However, Consumer Reports recently published a fantastic article, where they offer advice for those looking to improve their ability to talk with others.
They suggest hearing aid wearers:
1. Ask people to speak slowly and clearly – this is far more effective than when someone raises their voice and fails to enunciate their sentences.
2. Stand face to face when talking – as long as you remain six feet apart, experts suggest eye contact can make a big difference during conversations.
3. Find the right mask – clear face masks are useful for lip reading, but research has also shown that cloth and surgical masks can make sounds easier to interpret.
4. Adjust your devices – hearing aids can be altered to help with these interactions; feel free to give us a call at the office if you want assistance with this!
5. Try out a transcription app – these days, there are smartphone apps, such as Dragon or Google Live, that will reproduce speech for you to read back.
6. Make meetings virtual – many hearing aids let you stream sounds via your smartphone, tablet, or computer, so this is a great way to stay in touch with others.