Wearing hearing aids all the time is essential to keep your hearing healthy. They provide the exercise that your ears and brain need to stay in good shape so you can hear all the beautiful things life has to offer.
When your hearing aids go everywhere with you, they are exposed to the elements and risk becoming damaged if proper care isn’t taken.
When you partner with a professional audiologist, you can rest assured knowing you’ll have the correct support to ensure your devices continue working at their best for you.
The most common problem we see with devices is water damage. This can happen for many different reasons, but however it happens, it can be catastrophic for your hearing aids.
Your hearing aids are an investment into your quality of life, and we want to make sure they stay with you for a very long time. If your hearing aids get wet, don’t fret – we can help.
Common Causes Of Wet Hearing Aids
Weather – We can sometimes experience all four seasons here in Massachusetts in one day. You can’t be prepared for that, so understandably, some people get caught in the rain.
Bathroom – Cleaning your hearing aids is an excellent habit to develop. Keeping them clean is paramount to them functioning for the long term. Most people do this in the privacy of their bathroom without realizing how easy it is to get them wet in there. Even if you avoid the sink and the shower, condensation can creep in and slowly cause damage without you even knowing it.
Recreation – You want to wear your hearing aids everywhere, and that’s a good thing. But there are a few places we recommend you either leave them at home or in the car. Attending a pool party would be one of those times. It’s easy to forget you’re wearing them, and doing a cannonball into the pool is a must at any party. Just be sure you leave your hearing aids in the cabana before doing so.
What To Do If Your Hearing Aids Get Wet
- Get them out of the water ASAP. Preventing any amount of water exposure is good, so be as quick as you can to get them to a dry place right away.
- If you can, remove the battery. Eliminating any electrical current will go a long way in preventing the circuits from frying. Leave the battery out until you’re sure that the hearing aids are bone dry.
- Leave the battery door open. Any amount of airflow through your hearing aids will increase the chances of recovery.
- Gently dry them as best you can with a delicate cloth or towel. You don’t have to scrub hard; lightly removing any visible moisture is the best course of action. You don’t want to damage any circuitry with aggressive drying techniques.
- Leave them overnight in a dry place. Don’t leave them in the bathroom or near an open window. Even if it doesn’t rain, the moisture in the humid Massachusetts air will prevent them from drying.
- Contact us immediately if you think the damage is severe. We have Redux; a professional drying system specifically built for this purpose. It can save you thousands in repairs or having to replace a unit.
What Is Redux?
Redux is a complex drying system that is fast and effective. Even if your hearing aids don’t get wet, they accumulate moisture from within your ear. We recommend getting them dried regularly to protect the delicate circuitry within your hearing aids.
This system is fast as well. It dries a pair of hearing aids within 8 minutes. It works on both removable and rechargeable batteries, so we can get you in and out fast and back to enjoying your day no matter what device you have.
The statistics show that 77% of all patients who use Redux experience a noticeable improvement in their hearing aid function within minutes of getting them back.
How To Utilize Redux Effectively
If you’re ready to get your hearing aids dry and functioning at their best, you can schedule an appointment online. If you’ve never had this done and your hearing aids are over a year old, I highly recommend incorporating this procedure.
If you went swimming or ran your hearing aids through the washing machine, please call us immediately, and we can fit you in as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more damage you incur.
Proper hearing aid maintenance is crucial to protect your investment and enjoy all the wonders hearing can provide.
We are always ready to help.